Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Rain, Rain, Go Away

     Since my last post, we have had two more steel drums classes.  Honestly, I am learning a lot more than I expected to learn in this class.  I figured I would learn more about playing the drums themselves, and specifically learn how to play a new drum, but I didn't realize how much I still had to learn about music.  Though I do have a pretty strong musical background, that background does not include a solid basis in music theory.  Harvey incorporates a lot of music theory into his steel drums lessons, and learning it on the steel drums has definitely made it easier to understand.  I already knew what keys and chords and scales are, but I guess I never really knew how to figure out which key you were playing in or the chords associated with that key.  Also, I didn't really understand the logic or methodology behind transitioning between keys within songs.  I'm sure I will learn a lot more about theory throughout the duration of this class.  Aside from the theory and scales and chords, we are learning to play Can't Help Falling in Love.  We actually played the song in its entirety in class today.
     We have had two history classes since we got to Trinidad.  The class is definitely going to be a challenge because there is a lot of material, and the professor moves very quickly.  The class is a constant reminder that this is not a vacation, and this trip definitely isn't going to be no work and all play.  Hopefully I can maintain a healthy balance of mostly play and minimal work, though.
Apart from class, we have done some fun stuff over the past couple days, including a lot of bonding.  Yesterday after steel drums class, we went into Arima to get lunch and go to the market.  As I have mentioned in my previous post, the food is very different here (and laden with bones).  Many of us needed a break from the local cuisine, so we opted for KFC and Pizza Hut for lunch.  Also, we saw a lady with a KFC bucket on her head at Maracas beach, so we were trying to acquire one so we could wear it like she did.  Unfortunately, we failed in acquiring a bucket, but we did get some good food that we already knew how to eat and that reminded us of home.  After eating, we wandered around the market area, bought some bananas, and browsed in a few stores.  We didn't have much time though because we spent all our time in line at KFC and we had to get back to the resort for history class.
     Upon our arrival at the resort, we learned that our history teacher's car had broken down and she wouldn't be coming.  Obviously, we were all thrilled and immediately headed to the pool. We spent entirely too much time taking underwater photos and selfies and "instis" with Tyler's GoPro and Leah's iPhone (once she finally decided to try her lifeproof case in the water).  After our pool session and a nice lukewarm shower, my roommates and I pushed our beds together to make a super mega bed so that everyone could come and hang out and watch TV (and cuddle).  Collectively, the three of us have the largest area of bed out of anyone else on the trip, so it accommodates all of us much more comfortably.  The beds are going to stay like this for the rest of the trip.
     Today, we had both of our classes in the same day for the first time, and that was definitely rough.  It was especially rough because we had a 3 hour history class today instead of a 2 hour class to make up for yesterday's missed class.  For lunch, we got food at Trincity mall.  I opted for subway today, so I could take half of the sandwich home for dinner.  I swear I'm going to start eating more Trini food while I'm here, though.  I was just feeling too lazy to deal with bones today.  Today was a pretty long day, so the rest of the day will probably consist of napping and hanging out and avoiding the rain.  It has been raining on and off every day for the past couple days and is suppose to continue for a couple more.  Hopefully, it clears up for Tobago this weekend.  Tomorrow, we have both classes again and might be seeing a steel band play later.  Thanks for reading, and I hope you aren't getting too jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment